Healing your gut allows the body to build a stronger immune system and produce the right kind of good bacteria. Healthy digestion is important for breaking down food into nutrients, which the body uses for energy, growth, cell repair and also to help fight invading microbes like the ones you get with food poison.
The health of your gastrointestinal system is extremely important to your overall health and well-being. If you have any of the symptoms below that would indicate unhealthy gut:
- Digestive issues such as bloating, gas or diarrhoea.
- Sugar cravings.
- Food allergies or sensitivities.
- Moodiness, anxiety and depression.
- Skin problems such as eczema.
- Autoimmune disease and suppressed immunity.
This sounds like everything is caused by gut imbalance, and it is hard to get your head around the fact that most of it is!
"All disease begins in the gut."
Bacterial overgrowth in the small bowel, which interferes with the normal functions of the good bacteria, can cause malabsorption (poor absorption) of important nutrients. The balance can be disrupted for many reasons such as stress, diet and alcohol. It can also occur with antibiotic use. Antibiotics target the desired bad bacteria but in the process wipe out our beneficial bacteria at the same time which can result in an overgrowth of infectious like candida.
The gut is one of the core disease-fighting systems of the human body. All foods we eat are in communication with immune receptors in the digestive tract, triggering hormones and various cell types that help the body with its immune function.
Here are just a few tips on how to improve your gut health:
- Reduce and manage stress. Make time for yourself, keep a positive attitude, and accept the things that you cannot control.
- Eat well. Include fermented foods eg. Kefier, sauerkraut and kombucha. These are foods that can help you with good beneficial bacteria levels
- Stay active and maintain a healthy body weight such as walking, running and swimming
Bozana here at Pure Naturopathy can help you to improve your gut and improve your overall health.